Dr. Malali Gowda
- Experience on Genomics and Bioinformatics past 20 years
- Built a state-of-the-art ‘Next-Generation Genomics Facility’ at C-CAMP/NCBS, Bengaluru
- Established Centre for Functional Genomics & Bio-informatics at TDU, Bengaluru
- Sequenced the genomes of rice , Tulsi, Neem, Sandalwood etc in India.
- Developed several genomic technologies to sequence DNA (HLA-typing, ddRAD, Infectious virus, etc) and RNA (Full length mRNA, SAGE, 5’-RATE, CPA-sRNA, RNASeq)
- Expert in microbiome of plants and humans, Ayurgenomics and Plant genomics
- Provided genomic services to sequence more than 1000 genomes (prokaryotes and eukaryotes)
- Community based reforestation of barren landscape using local methods. (Website)
I am interested to engage with PhD students, young people interested in designing and executing innovative educational and outreach programs related to:
- Molecular study of plant -pathogen interactions
- Study of microbiome of humans and plants
- Dissection of traditional medicine using Omic technologies
- Development of genomics and bioinformatics tools
- Omic database development
Some of my important publications:
- Mahesh HB, …… M Gowda. Multi-Omics Driven Assembly and Annotation of the Sandalwood (Santalum album) Genome. Plant Physiol. 2018 Apr; 176(4):2772-2788.
- Shirke MD, Mahesh HB, Gowda M. Genome-wide comparison of Magnaporthe species reveals a host-specific pattern of secretory proteins and transposable elements. PLoS One. 2016; 11:e0162458.
- Mahesh HB, …… M Gowda. Indica rice genome assembly, annotation and mining of disease resistance genes. BMC Genomics 2016, 17: 242.
- Gowda M, et al. Comparative analyses of low, medium and high-resolution HLA typing technologies for human populations. Journal of Clinical & Cellular Immunology 2016, 7:2.
- Rangiaha K, …. M Gowda, UHPLC-MS/SRM method for quantification of neem metabolites from leaf extracts of Meliaceae family plants. Analytical Methods, 2016,8, 2020-2031.
- Kuravadi KA …… M Gowda. Comprehensive analyses of genomes, transcriptomes and metabolites of neem tree – PeerJ 2015, 3: e1066.
- Upadhyay AK ……. M Gowda. Genome sequencing of herb Tulsi (Ocimum tenuiflorum) unravels key genes behind its strong medicinal properties. BMC Plant Biology 2015, 15:212.
- Gowda, M., et al. Genome-wide characterization of methylguanosine-capped and polyadenylated small RNAs in the rice blast fungus Magnaporthe oryzae. Nucleic Acids Research 2010; 38: 7558-69.
- Gowda, M et al. Robust analysis of 5’-transcript ends (5’-RATE): a high-throughput protocol for characterization of sequence diversity of transcription start sites. Nature Protocols 2007; 2: 1622-32.
- Gowda, M., et al Magnaporthe oryzae infection triggers RNA variation and antisense transcript expression in rice. Plant Physiology 2007; 144: 524-33.
- Gowda, M., et al. Robust-LongSAGE (RL-SAGE): a substantially improved LongSAGE method for gene discovery and transcriptome analysis. Plant Physiology 2004; 134: 890-7.
- De novo Sequencing of transcriptome of Karkatashringi (Pistacia integerrima) Galls.
Funded by Dabur India Pvt Ltd
- Genetic diversity assessment of Saraca asoca (Roxb.) Willd. population using genotyping by sequencing.
Funded by Ministry of Environmental Forest (MoEF), Govt. of India.
- Integrated genomics-assisted breeding for efficient development of superior finger millet varieties for Karnataka.
Funded By Dept of Agriculture, Govt of Karnataka.
- Microbiome study of underground parts of Crocus sativus, saffron grown in Kashmir, J&K.
Funded by DST-SERB
- A comprehensive microRNA and phosphoproteome analysis of rice in response to neck blast disease.
Funded by DST-SERB
View Full CV