Dr. Mohana Kumar Patel
- Completed Ph.D. (August 2012) from Dept. of Crop Physiology, University of Agricultural Sciences, GKVK, Bengaluru (Supervisor: Prof. R. Uma Shaanker)
- Completed the Postdoctoral research program at Department of Chemistry, IIT Madras, Chennai (Supervisor; Prof. T Pradeep)
- Awarded Institute Postdoctoral Fellowship-2014 from IIT Madras, Chennai-36 and received fast track grant from SERB-DST (Young Scientist Award) Gov. of India.
- Received fellowship from Canadian Commonwealth Exchange Program, Asia-Pacific (formerly GSEP) 2009-10 to do part of PhD research work at Concordia University, Montreal, Canada under the supervision of Prof. Dayanandan, S.
- Awarded travel grants from DST (2010) and FAOBAM -Young Scientist Programme -2015
- Published research articles in international journals in the area of mass spectrometry imaging of metabolites, bioporpspecting, endophytic microbes and conservation genetics etc.
I am interested to engage with PhD students, young people interested in designing and executing innovative educational and outreach programs related to:
- Metabolomics and chemoinfromatics
- Metabolite mining, mapping and unravelling the metabolic pathways by using multi-omic approaches
- Endophytic microbes and chemical Ecology
- Herbal drug authentificaiton and quality
- Molecular markers and conservation genetics
Some of my important publications:
Mass spectrometry imaging; metabolic pathways
- Mohana Kumara P, Srimany A, Arunan S, Ravikanth G, Uma Shaanker R, Pradeep T. 2016 Desorption Electrospray Ionization (DESI) Mass Spectrometric Imaging of the Distribution of Rohitukine in the Seedling of Dysoxylum binectariferum Hook. F. PLoS ONE 11(6): e0158099. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0158099
- Mohana Kumara P, Amitava Srimany, Ravikanth G, Uma Shaanker, R. Pradeep, T.2015 Ambient ionization mass spectrometry imaging of rohitukine, a chromone anti-cancer alkaloid, during seed development in Dysoxylum binectariferum Hook. F (Meliaceae). Phytochemistry. Volume 116, 104-110. IF: 3.35
High value metabolites from plant and microbial source:
- Mohana Kumara P, et al. 2014. Rohitukine, a Chromane alkaloid and a precursor of flavopiridol, is produced by endophytic fungi isolated from Dysoxylum binectariferumHook.f and Amoora rohituka (Roxb). Wright &Arn. Mar Phytomedicine15; 21(4): 541-546.
- Mohana kumara P et al. 2010. Dysoxylum binectariferum Hook.f (Meliaceae), a rich source of rohitukine. Fitoterapia. Volume 81, Issue 2:145-148.
- Shweta S, Sebastian Z, Ramesha BT, Priti V, Mohana Kumara P et al. 2010, Endophytic fungal isolates from Apodytes dimidiata E. Mey. exArn (Icacinaceae) produce camptothecin, 10-hydroxycamptothecin and 9-methoxycamptothecin Phytochemistry 71: 117-122.
- Shweta, S, HimaBindu J, Raghu, J, Suma H.K, Manjunath, J, Mohan Kumara, P, et al. 2013 Isolation of endophytic bacteria from Miquelia dentata Bedd., producing the anti-cancer alkaloid, camptothecine. Phytomedicine. 20 (2013) 913– 917
- Suma, H. K., Kumar, V., Senthilkumar, U., Mohana Kumara, P, et al. 2014. Pyrenacantha volubilis Wight, (Icacinaceae) a rich source of camptothecine and its derivatives, from the Coromandel Coast forests of India. Fitoterapia 97, 105-110.
- Vasanthakumari, M. M. Jadhav, S. S. Sachin, N. Vinod, G. Manjunatha, B.L Mohana Kumara, P. Ravikanth, G and Uma Shaanker R. 2015. Passage through host tissue and DNA methyltransferase inhibitor restores CPT production in attenuated endophytic fungus. World J Microbiol Biotechnol. DOI 10.1007/s11274-015-1916-0
- Hemmilä S, Mohana Kumara P et al. 2010. Development of polymorphic microsatellite loci in the endangered tree species Dysoxylum malabaricum, Molecular Ecology Resources 10(2): 404-408
- Sumangala R. C., Mohana Kumara P et al . 2013 Development and characterization of microsatellite markers for Dysoxylum binectariferum, a medicinally important tree species in Western Ghats, India. J. Gen et. 92, e85–e88. Online only: http://www.ias.ac.in/jgenet/OnlineResources/92/e85.pdf]
- Sofia Bodare, G Ravikanth, A Sascha, Mohana Kumara P, et al. 2016 Landscape and fine-scale genetic structure of white cedar (Dysoxylum malabaricum) in disturbed forest patches of the Western Ghats, India. Conservation genetics DOI 10.1007/s10592-016-0877-7.
- “NEW CHROMONE ALKALOID DYSOLINE FOR THE TREATMENT OF CANCER AND INFLAMATORY DISORDERS” Indian Patent (1077DEL2013 (Prov. Date: 10/04/2013) and US Patent 20,160,046,611, 2016
- Mohana Kumara, P, et al. 2013 “Endophytes and plant secondary metabolite synthesis: molecular and evolutionary perspectives” Springer India, pp.177-190. Book edited by Verma, Vijay; Gange, Alan C. (Eds.) dio; 10.1007/978-81-322-1575-2_9