Dr. Satish P RamachandraRao
- Applied Exosome (Liquid Biopsy) Methods to translational studies aimed at preventing kidney failure secondary to etiologies such as CABG, hepatitis, Cisplatin-induced nephropathy or HIV at the UC San Diego School of Medicine/Nephrology Biomarkers Lab. This work from multiple clinical research projects is summarized here. Different etiology background patient urine exosomes yield different biomarkers, using the same protocol of isolation and proteome characterization.
- Standardized and applied cost-effective proteomic tools to study Diabetic & Metabolic kidney disease
- Directed the research efforts of O’Brien Biomarkers lab; Trained and mentored MD nephrology fellows
- Established and managed service component in the O’Brien Biomarkers Lab generating departmental revenue
- Spearheaded setting up of 3 completely functional translational research laboratories from scratch in USA:
- Biomarkers Lab, O’Brien Center for Acute Kidney Injury Research, Nephrology, UC San Diego, California,
- Center for Renal Translational Medicine, UC San Diego,
- Center for Novel Therapies in Kidney Disease, Medicine/Nephrology, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
- Steered the NIH advisory committee meeting to address the role of exosomes in the field of Research in Pediatric and Developmental Pharmacology (RPDP) at Bethesda, Maryland, USA
I am interested to engage with PhD students, young people interested in designing and executing innovative educational and outreach programs related to:
- Exosome Biomarkers of Health & Diseases (communicable, non-communicable and nutritional disorders) using different biofluids
- Interfacing Ayurvedic formulations/applications and Modern Technologic tools for Translational Research using exosomes.
- Development of non-invasive investigative platforms for early detection of diseases such as urine exosomes for kidney disease, tear exosomes for eye function, salivary exosomes for oral cancers
- A practically highly useful tool is the ability to proactively utilize the intestinal route to modulate the kidney functionality. According to Ayurvedic texts, urine formation commences in the intestine. Thus, if the raw material that is fed to the kidneys from the intestine is good, major stress on kidney is potentially relieved. This forms the dietary basis of kidney functional rejuvenation as depicted here. Biomarkers of dietary influence and intestinal uptake in kidney function/ injury/ dysfunction will be investigated.
Some of my important publications:
- Kathryn Patras, Alison Coady, Joshua Olson, Syed Raja Ali, Satish P. RamachandraRao, Satish Kumar, Ajit Varki, Victor Nizet. Tamm-Horsfall Glycoprotein Engages Human Siglec-9 to Modulate Neutrophil Activation in the Urinary Tract. Immunol Cell Biol. 2017 Nov;95(10):960-965. doi: 10.1038/icb.2017.63.
- Linda Awdishu, Caroline M. Nievergelt, Andrew Davenport, Patrick T. Murray, Etienne Macedo, Jorge Cerda, Raj Chakaravarthi, Satish P. RamachandraRao, Arthur Holden, Stuart L. Goldstein, Ravindra L Mehta Rationale and Design of The Genetic Contribution to Drug Induced Renal Injury Study (DIRECT); Kidney International Reports. doi: 10.1016/j.ekir.2016.08.010.
- Chu LL, Katzberg RW, Solomon R, Southard J, Evans SJ, Li CS, McDonald JS, Payne C, Boone JM, RamachandraRao SP. Clinical Significance of Persistent Global and Focal Computed Tomography Nephrograms After Cardiac Catheterization and Their Relationships to Urinary Biomarkers of Kidney Damage and Procedural Factors: Pilot Study. Invest Radiol. 2016 Mar 11. PMID:26974312
- Hanna M, Brophy PD, Giannone PJ, Joshi MS, Bauer JA, RamachandraRao S. (2016) Early urinary biomarkers of acute kidney injury in preterm infants. Pediatr Res. 2016 Apr7 doi:10.1038/pr.2016. 70.
- Satish P. RamachandraRao, Alyssa A Hamlin, Linda Awdishu, Rachael Overcash, Marcela Zhou, James Proudfoot, Michelle Ishaya, Eamon Aghania, Assael Madrigal, Chanthel K. Mondrogon, Kelly Kao, Roni Khoshaba, Anousone Bounkhoun, Majid Ghassemian Maryam Tarsa, and Robert K. Naviaux. Proteomic Analyses of Urine Exosomes Reveal New Biomarkers of Diabetes in Pregnancy. Madridge J Dia. 2016; 1(1): 11-22.
- Satish P. RamachandraRao, Michael Matthias, Chanthel-Kokoy Mondrogon, Eamon Aghania, Cathleen Park, Casey Kong, Michelle Ishaya, Assael Madrigal, Jennifer Horng, Roni Khoshaba, Anousone Bounkhoun, Fabrizio Basilico, Antonella De Palma, Anna Maria Agresta, Linda Awdishu, Robert K. Naviaux, Joseph M. Vinetz, Pierluigi Mauri Proteomic Analysis of Urine Exosomes Reveals Renal Tubule Response to Leptospiral Colonization in Experimentally Infected Rats: PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2015Mar 20;9(3): e0003640. doi:10.1371/journal.pntd. 0003640. eCollection 2015.
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com