- Students are encouraged to interact with all faculty members at TDU and Partner Research Institutes in order to identify their Research Supervisor, who understands the student’s research interests and meets TDU’s eligibility criteria.
- Students will seek and obtain consent from the selected faculty member at TDU or Partner Research Institute whom the student chooses to be his/her Research Supervisor.
- Research Supervisor should be an approved faculty at TDU or partner research institution, who meet the eligibility criteria stated in section 1.11 below.
- Students can also have a Co-Supervisor who could be a faculty member from TDU, Partner Research institution or any external faculty who will meet the same eligibility criteria as applicable to the Research Supervisor.
- Tenure as Research Supervisor: Faculty who leave TDU or partner research institution will continue to serve as a Research Supervisor for students assigned to them in the best interests of the student, until the student finds a replacement Research Supervisor either within TDU or at partner research institutions.
- In the unexpected circumstances that the Research Supervisor or student do not want to continue their association, a letter justifying the reasons for the same should be submitted to the DAC. The DAC will seek to mediate between both parties, failing which the letter will be forwarded to the DRC for approval.
- On approval from DRC, the student should find another Research Supervisor within 3 months from the date of such approval with the help from his/her DAC and inform DRC of the selected Research Supervisor.
The Research Supervisor or DAC, depending upon research work requirements can consider a Co-supervisor for the student. The Co-supervisor will also meet the same eligibility criteria as applicable to the Research Supervisor. However, the research supervisor will be responsible for the student and will be the guiding force for the student till the award of the degree. The inclusion of co-supervisor in the DAC is left to the discretion of the Research Supervisor.
Research Supervisor – Eligibility Criteria
- All faculty members of TDU or Partner Research Institution with a PhD qualification and a minimum of 3 years’ experience in research and with atleast 5 (five) publications in reputed international/national journals are eligible to become Research Supervisor at TDU or Partner Research Institutions.
- All faculty members of TDU or Partner Research Institution with a PhD qualification but having less than 3 years’ experience in research can also be considered by the DRC for approval provided the faculty has atleast 3 (three) publications in reputed international/national journals and meets a preset professional standard set by DRC.
- All faculty members of TDU or Partner Research Institution with an MD/MTech/MSc degree and five (5) years of clinical practice or research with atleast 3 (three) publications in reputed international/national journals.
- All faculty members of TDU or Partner Research Institution with a BAMS/MBBS/BTech degree and ten (10) years of work experience can also be considered by the DRC for approval provided the faculty has atleast 3 (three) publications in reputed international/national journals and meets with preset quality standards set by DRC.
- A Research Supervisor shall at no time supervise more than eight doctoral candidates in total.
- Notwithstanding what is stated above, the Graduate Research Committee (GRC) reserves the right to approve distinguished people and Emeritus Professors as Research Supervisor, depending upon the merit of the case.
Doctoral Advisory Committee (DAC)
- The student in consultation with his / her Research Supervisor will constitute a DAC, consisting of atleast 3 (three) members including the Research Supervisor. The DRC will nominate the DAC Chair. The DAC will include a minimum of the following members;
- Research Supervisor
- A Subject expert
- A Faculty from either at TDU or Partner Research institute
- The DAC should necessarily include along with the Research Supervisor, atleast one subject expert in the domain of the research work undertaken by the student.
- DAC will review student’s research progress every 6 months and submit their report to DRC.