Rasayana for Childcare: Joy of Herbs and Healing
This is a book of herbal recipes for childcare based on a concept in Ayurveda called Rasayana. Rasayana deals with methods to live long and live well. The recipes selected can be prepared at home using ingredients from the kitchen, garden, supermarkets or Indian stores. The book includes stories woven over the ages around these herbs, legends that they star in, their vernacular names and citations from ancient Ayurveda Materia Medica that reveal the nature of the Rasayana herbs. The beautiful photographs of plants, interesting hand-drawn illustrations and tit-bits are a celebration of the cultural history associated with the herbs. The book will not only be a pleasure to read and use but also a treasure to keep for young mothers and children’s care-givers.
Authors: Prof. Padma Venkat, Dr. K Subrahmanya Kumar, Ms. Uma Magal
Publishers: Partridge India
Dr. Padma Venkat
- Balasubramani SP, Mohan J, Esha P, Arunita C, Nongthomba U, Venkatasubramanian P. Pomegranate enhances health span and life span in Drosophila melanogaster: an exploratory study. 2014. Front. Public Health 2:245. doi: 10.3389/fpubh.2014.00245
- Venkatasubramanian, P., Koul, I.B, Varghese, R.K., Koyyala, S., and Arun, S. Amla (Phyllanthus emblica L.) Enhances Iron Bioavailability in In Vitro Models. 2014. Curr Sci, 107 (11), 1860-66
- Venkatasubramanian P, Subrahmanya Kumar K, Venugopal SN. 2010. Cyperus rotundus, a substitute for Aconitum heterophyllum: studies on Ayurvedic concept of Abhava Pratinidhi Dravya (Drug substitutions). Journal of Ayurveda and Integrative Medicine.1(1): 36-39
- Venkatasubramanian, P., Godbole, A., Vidyashankar, R., Kuruvilla, G. 2013. Evaluation of traditional anthelmintic herbs as substitutes for the endangered Embelia ribes, using Caenorhabditis elegans model. Curr Sci. 105(11), 1593-1598
- Preethi Sudha VB, Ojit Singh K, Sasirekha Ramani, Anu Paul, Venkatasubramanian P. 2011. Inactivation of rotavirus in water by copper pot. Journal of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene for Development. 1(3): 165-169
- Preethi Sudha V.B, Sheeba Ganesan, Pazhani G.P, Ramamurthy T, Nair GB, Venkatasubramanian P. 2012. Storing drinking water in copper pots kills contaminating diarrhoeagenic bacteria. J Health Popul Nutr. 30 (1): 17-21
- Sudha, VBP, Ojit Singh K, Prasad SR, Venkatasubramanian P. 2009. Killing of Enteric Bacteria by a Copper Device for Use in the Home: Laboratory Evidence. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 103: 819—822
- Devaiah K M, Venkatasubramanian P. 2008. Genetic characterization and authentication of Embelia ribes Burm.F (Myrsinaceae) using RAPD – PCR and SCAR marker. Planta Medica. 74: 194-196
- Kukkupuni, S.K., Shashikumar, A and Venkatasubramanian, P. 2015. Fermented milk products: Probiotics of Ayurveda: Journal of Medical Nutrition and Nutraceuticals 4 (1)
- Shankar D, Venkatasubramanian P. 2005. The evolution of global standards for traditional medicine. Policy Brief, SciDev, London. www.SciDev.com
- Balasubramani SP, Venkatasubramanian P, Kumar SK, Patwardhan B. 2011. Plant-Based Rasayana drugs from Ayurveda. Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine. 17(2): 88 – 94
Dr. Ashwini Godbole
- Godbole A, Dubey AK, Mitra R, Reddy PS and Mathew MK. ; Expression and Purification of OsVDAC4 ; Methods in Enzymology, Contribution by invitation, Communicated August 2014.
- Dubey AK, Godbole, A, Srinivasan, S, & Mathew MK. ; VDAC properties are influenced by the source of its purification ; International Journal of Pharmacy & Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2014, 6(7).
- Venkatasubramanian P, Godbole A, Vidyashankar R and Kuruvilla GR. ; Evaluation of traditional anthelmintic herbs as substitutes for the endangered Embelia ribes, using Caenorhabditis elegans model. ; Current Science. 2013 Dec, 105(11):1593—1598.
- Godbole A, Dubey AK, Reddy PS, Udayakumar M, Mathew MK. ; Mitochondrial VDAC and hexokinase together modulate plant programmed cell death. ; Protoplasma. 2013 Aug;250(4):875-84. doi: 10.1007/s00709-012-0470-y. Epub 2012 Dec 18.
- Godbole A, Mitra R, Dubey AK, Reddy PS, Mathew MK.; Bacterial expression, purification and characterization of a rice voltage-dependent, anion-selective channel isoform, OsVDAC4. ; J Membr Biol. 2011 Nov;244(2):67-80. doi: 10.1007/s00232-011-9399-x. Epub 2011 Nov 6.
- Shrivastava R, Basu B, Godbole A, Mathew MK, Apte SK, Phale PS. ; Repression of the glucose-inducible outer-membrane protein OprB during utilization of aromatic compounds and organic acids in Pseudomonas putida CSV86. ; Microbiology. 2011 May;157(Pt 5):1531-40. Epub 2011 Feb 17.
- Godbole A, Varghese J, Sarin A, Mathew MK. ; VDAC is a conserved element of death pathways in plant and animal systems. ; Biochim Biophys Acta. 2003 Sep 23;1642(1-2):87-96.
Dr. Vijayalakshmi Babu
- N. Vijayalakshmi and Uday Maitra; A simple Construction of a Bile Acid Based Dendritic Light Harvesting System; Org. Lett. 2005, 7, 2727.
- N. Vijayalakshmi and Uday Maitra; Hydroxyl-Terminated Dendritic Oligomers from Bile Acids: Synthesis and Properties. ; J. Org. Chem. 2006, 71, 768.
- N. Vijayalakshmi and Uday Maitra; Multiple Chromophore Labeled Novel Bile Acid Dendrimers for Light Harvesting. ; Macromolecules, 2006, 39, 7931.
- N. Vijayalakshmi , Ray A, Malugin A, Ghandehari H; Carboxyl-terminated PAMAM-SN38 conjugates: synthesis, characterization, and in vitro evaluation; Bioconjug Chem. 2010, 1(10):1804-10.
- Goldberg D.S, N. Vijayalakshmi, Swan P.W, Ghandehari H; G3.5 PAMAM dendrimers enhance transepithelial transport of SN38 while minimizing gastrointestinal toxicity ; J Control Release. 2011, 150(3):318-25
Dr. CN Vishnuprasad
- Vishnuprasad CN (2015); Dravyagunasatasloki of Trimallabhatta (Book Review); J Ayurveda Integr Med. 6: 64-66.
- Vishnuprasad CN, Tomoko Tsuchiya, Shiro Kanegasaki, Joon Ho Kim and Sung Soo Han (2014); Aurantio-obtusin stimulates chemotactic migration and differentiation of MC3T3-E1 osteoblast cells. ; Planta Med. 80: 544-549
- Vishnuprasad CN, Pradeep NS, Yong Woo Cho, Gangadharan GG, Sung Soo Han (2013); Fumigation in Ayurveda: Potential Strategy for Drug Discovery and Drug Delivery. ; J. Ethnopharmacol. 149: 409-415.
- Vishnuprasad CN, Anjana T, Banerji A, Gopalakrishnapillai A (2010); Gallic acid induces GLUT4 translocation and glucose uptake activity in 3T3-L1 cells. ; FEBS Lett. 584:531-6.
- Vishnuprasad CN, Suma Mohan S, Banerji A, Gopalakrishnapillai A (2009); Kaempferitrin inhibits GLUT4 translocation and glucose uptake in 3T3-L1 adipocytes. ; Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 380(1): 39-43.
- Vishnuprasad CN, S.Arun, V.Renju Krishna, S.Shiburaj, R.Prakashkumar and N.S.Pradeep (2005); “Molecular and biochemical characterization of litter inhabiting Aspergillus spp”. ; Proceedings – International Conference on Microbial Diversity: Current perspectives and Potential Applications held at Delhi University South Campus from April 16-18, 2005.
- Ninu Poulose, Vishnuprasad CN, Nidhina Haridas PA, Gopalakrishnapillai A (2011); Ellagic acid stimulates glucose transport in adipocytes and muscles through AMPK mediated pathway; J Diabetes Metab. 2:149. doi:10.4172/2155-6156.1000149
- Pradeep Krishnan.G.R, Vishnuprasad CN, Rajmohan.K, Soni.K.B (2005) ; RAPD Analysis of Centella asiatica from different locations of Kerala – Chapter in Recent Trends in Horticultural Biotechnology edited by R. Keshavachandran, P.A. Nazeem, D. Girija, P.S. John and K.V. Peter. New Delhi, New India Pub., 2007
- N. S. Pradeep, Vishnuprasad CN and S.Shiburaj (2005). Bioprospecting of the commercially exploited oyster mushrooms (Pleurotus spp) in Kerala. Proceedings – 17th Kerala Science Congress held at Kerala Forest Research Institution, Thrissur, Kerala, India. (Ed. Muthunayagam A.E.) pp:229-231
Balasubramani S P
*Articles published in peer-reviewed journals
- Balasubramani SP, Mohan J, Chatterjee A, Patnaik E, Kumar KS, Nongthomba U, Venkatasubramanian P. Pomegranate juice enhances healthy lifespan in Drosophila melanogaster: an exploratory study. Front. Public Health. 2014; 2:245. doi: 10.3389/fpubh.2014.00245.
- Seethapathy GS, Balasubramani SP, Venkatasubramanian P. nrDNA ITS sequence based SCAR marker to authenticate Aconitum heterophyllum and Cyperus rotundus in Ayurvedic raw drug source and prepared herbal products. Food Chem. 2014; 145:1015-20.
- Balasubramani SP, Seethapathy GS, Venkatasubramanian P. Nuclear ribosomal DNA-ITS region based molecular markers to distinguish botanical entities traded as ‘Vidari’. J Herbal Medicine. 2011; 1(3-4):83-89.
- Balasubramani SP, Venkatasubramanian P. Molecular Identification and Development of Nuclear DNA ITS sequence-based marker to distinguish Coscinium fenestratum Gaertn. (Menispermaceae) from its adulterants. Current Trends in Biotechnology and Pharmacy. 2011; 5(2):1163-1172.
- Balasubramani SP, Goraya GS, Venkatasubramanian P. Development of ITS sequence-based markers to distinguish Berberis aristata DC. from B. lycium Royle. and B. asiatica Roxb. 3Biotech. 2011; 1(1):11-19.
- Balasubramani SP, Venkatasubramanian P, Kumar SK, Patwardhan B. Plant-Based Rasayana drugs from Ayurveda. Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine. 2011; 17(2):88-94.
- Devaiah K, Balasubramani SP, Venkatasubramanian P. Development of RAPD based SCAR marker for identification of Ipomea mauritiana Jacq. (Convolvulaceae). Evidence Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2011.
- Balasubramani SP, Murugan R, Ravikumar K, Venkatasubramanian P. Development of ITS sequence based molecular marker to distinguish, Tribulus terrestris L. (Zygophyllaceae) from its adulterants. Fitoterapia. 2010; 81(6):503-508.
*Articles published in peer-reviewed journals
- Venkatasubramanian P, Subrahmanya Kumar K, Venugopal SN. Cyperus rotundus, a substitute for Aconitum heterophyllum: studies on Ayurvedic concept of Abhava Pratinidhi Dravya (Drug substitutions). Journal of Ayurveda and Integrative Medicine. 2010; 1(1):36-39.
- Venkatasubramanian P, Subrahmanya Kumar K. Traditional Knowledge Guided Research to Identify Legitimate Substitutes for Rare and Unavailable Herbs. Planta Med. 2009; 75. DOI: 10.1055/s-2009-1216406 (abstract)