Dr. Debabrata Saha
Centre for Conservation of Natural Resources
- Socio-ecological research of Illicium griffithii wildstands, one of the highly traded medicinal plants of Western Arunachal Pradesh, was done at three different disturbance index level.
- A total of 343 NTFPs documented with their use pattern and market trends which were used by 5 major communitiesviz., Aka, Miji, Bugun, Sherdukpen and Monpa communities of Western Arunachal Pradesh. Identified 23 potential NTFPs which can fetch high income to the local people in Arunachal Pradesh.
- Developed a “Long term strategy for threat assessment and monitoring conservation status of medicinal plants of India” and submitted to UNDP and MoEFCC, New Delhi.
- A total of 46 species and one varietyof medicinal plants was assessed globally for their conservation status using IUCN Red List Categories and Criteria, and published in IUCN Red List. http://www.iucnredlist.org/
- Developed manuscript on “100 Red Listed Indian Medicinal Plants – Depiction and Illustration of the species” and submitted to UNDP and MoEFCC, New Delhi.
- Conservation Assessment and Management Prioritization (CAMP) workshop conducted in Nagaland, Tripura and Manipur. Medicinal plants species were assessed regionally for their conservation status using IUCN Red List Categories and Criteria and reports published.
- Implemented a national project on “Mainstreaming Conservation and Sustainable Use of Medicinal Plant Diversity in Three Indian States” supported by GOI-UNDP-GEF as national project manager.
- Project on “Conservation and Sustainable Use of Medicinal Plants Resources in Tripura – Linking Institutional, Ecological and Economic Management of Resources” has been implemented successfully in Tripura.
- A training manual developed on “Sustainable wild collection of medicinal plants of Tripura” and used to train various stakeholders in the state.
- Total 19 research papers, manuals, books and reports published
I am interested to engage with PhD students, young people interested in designing and executing innovative educational and outreach programs related to:
- Socio-Ecological characterization of forest ecosystem.
- Species Distribution Modelling (SDM) and Landscape characterization using geospatial tools to support conservation strategy
- Non-timber forest products (NTFP) and livelihoods
- Threat assessment and conservation of medicinal plants
Some of my important publications:
- Saha, D., Sundriyal, M. and Sundriyal, R.C. 2014. Diversity of food composition and nutritive analysis of edible wild plants in a multiethnic tribal land, North East India: an important facet for food supply. Indian Journal of Traditional Knowledge. 13(4): 698-705
- Saha, D. and Sundriyal, R. C. 2012. Utilization of non-timber forest products in humid tropics: implication for management and livelihood. Forest Policy and Economics. 14(1):28-40.
- Ved, D., Saha, D., Ravikumar, K. &Haridasan, K. 2015. Gentianakurroo. The IUCN Red List of Threatened Species 2015: e.T50126594A50131345 http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/50126594/0
- Saha, D. and Sundriyal, R. C. 2010. Stand structure, phenology and fruit yield of Illiciumgriffithii in Western Arunachal Pradesh, North East India.Indian Journal of Forestry. 33(4):475-488.
- Saha, D. and Sundriyal, R. C. 2012. Perspectives of Tribal Communities on NTFP Resource Use in a Global Hotspot: Implications for Adaptive Management. Journal of Natural Sciences Research. The International Institute for Science, Technology and Education (IISTE), USA. 3 (4):125
- Saha, D. and Sundriyal, R. C. 2010. Prioritization of Non-Timber Forest Produces for income generation: A participatory approach.Journal of Non-Timber Forest Products. 17(4):387-394.
- Ved, D., Saha, D.,Ravikumar, K. &Haridasan, K. 2015. Aconitum heterophyllum. The IUCN Red List of Threatened Species 2015: e.T50126560A79579556. http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/50126560/0
- Saha, D. and Rao, A. N. 2006. Studies on Endophytic Mycorhiza of some selected orchids of Arunachal Pradesh -1. Isolation and Identification.Bulletin of Arunachal Forest Research 22(1&2):9-16.
- Saha, D., Ved, D., Ravikumar, K. &Haridasan, K. 2015. Illiciumgriffithii. The IUCN Red List of Threatened Species 2015: e.T50126617A50131370. http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/50126617/0
- Singh, S.P. Saha, D and Koyu, R. 2009.Aromatic plants in incense stick industry and their livelihood options – A case study in Arunachal Pradesh. Bulletin of Arunachal Forest Research 25 (1&2): 37-45
- Ved, D., Saha, D., Ravikumar, K. &Haridasan, K. 2015. Decalepishamiltonii. The IUCN Red List of Threatened Species 2015: e.T50126587A50131330. http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/50126587/0
- Saha, D.,Ved, D., Ravikumar, K. &Haridasan, K. 2015. Gymnocladusassamicus. The IUCN Red List of Threatened Species 2015: e.T50126611A50131355. http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/50126611/0