Dr. Lavanya Devi
Centre for Functional Genomics and Bioinformatics
A plant Biologist, Ph.D. from Indian Institute of Horticultural Research (IIHR) Bangalore, keen on the research of plants DNA barcoding, molecular phylogenetic relationships and genetic diversity studies using molecular Tools and comparison with the morpho and chemo traits.
In the Centre for Functional Genomics and Bioinformatics, involved in the Finger Millet Genome Project and keen on exploring more of the plant world with genomics technologies for the social welfare and plant diversity conservation.
- Asst. Professor – The University of Transdisciplinary Health Sciences and Technology, Yelahanka, Bengaluru 23/09/2019 to Present
- Post-Doctoral Fellow – The University of Transdisciplinary Health Sciences and Technology, Yelahanka, Bengaluru -03/09/2018 to 22.09.2019.
- Post-Doctoral Fellow – Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Bhopal – 01/05/2016 to 02/05/2017.
- Ph.D. Research Scholar – Indian Institute of Horticultural Research, Bangalore – 26/05/2010 to 24/03/2016
- Lecturer in Biotechnology – P.E.S. College of Applied Sciences, Bangalore 26/07/2006 to 15/05/2008.
- Lecturer in Botany – S.D.M. College, Ujire, South Kanara – 10/06/2004 to 30/04/2006
- Lecturer is Botany – St. Aloysius College, Mangalore – 19/06/2003 to 15/03/2004
- At TDU, Teaching M.Sc. by Research programme Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) Training Programs and guiding Masters Internship involved in the internship program of CFGB.
- Keen on teaching and guiding students for their masters and doctoral programs.
NGS Training coordinator: From May 2018, coordinating the NGS Training Programs of Center for Functional Genomics and Bioinformatics.
- Internship coordinator: From May 2018, coordinating the internship program in Centre for Functional Genomics and Bioinformatics.
- M.Sc. Coordinator: From November 2019, coordinating M.Sc. by Research programme from CFGB
Ongoing Research Projects / Grants / Specific Research activities:
- “Integrated Genomics-Assisted Breeding for Efficient Development of Superior Finger Millet Varieties for Karnataka” funded by Govt. of Karnataka in collaboration with ICRISAT.
In this project, 118 Karnataka Finger Millet germplasm were selected which included Released varieties, Blast resistant, blast susceptible and drought germplasm. The whole genome re-sequencing has been carried out and the bioinformatics data analysis for the superior traits is under progress.
- Plant DNA Finger printing: Involved in the standardization of DNA isolation from fresh as well as dry samples from Medicinal plants, optimization of polymerase chain reaction using nuclear and plastid genes. Optimized more than 50 medicinal plants, including around 30 RET (Rare, endangered and threatened) medicinal plant species for molecular authentication
- Micropropagation of Spilanthes paniculata Wall ex. DC. Mahendran, Lavanya Devi K., Narmatha Bai, Plant Cell. Biotech. and Mol. Biol. 7(1&2): 85-88 2006
- Spilanthes oleracea L. – An Asteraceae herb with ornamental value naturalized in Peninsular India Lavanya Devi K., Ganeshan S and M.B. Shivanna International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR). Vol. 3(11): 2324-2327. 2014
- Optimization of parameters for DNA isolation and PCR ISSR protocol of species of Spilanthes from peninsular India Lavanya Devi K., Shivanna M.B., Ganeshan S. International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR). Vol. 3(9):1088-1091 2014
- ISSR markers for determination of genetic diversity in Spilanthes species- medicinal herb from peninsular India” Lavanya Devi K., Anuradha Sane, International Journal of Pharmacy and Biological Sciences Vol. 6(3):128-139. 2016
- Chemical variation of Spilanthes species (Asteraceae) a medicinal herb in peninsular India -revealed by GCMS-MS”. Lavanya Devi K., M. B. Shivanna, Ganeshan S., International Journal of Pharmacy and Biological Sciences. Vol. 6(3):86-97. 2016
- Total Phenolic Content and Antioxidant Activity of Spilanthes Species from Peninsular India Lavanya Devi K., Shivanna MB, Ganeshan S Int. J Pharm Pharmacology ; 1(3): 115 2017
- Ecological Niche modelling of the medicinally important genus Spilanthes (Asteraceae) in Peninsular India Lavanya Devi K., M.B. Shivanna, Communicated 2020
- Morphological characteristics – revising the genus status of Spilanthes Jacq. for Acmella Richard. in Peninsular India Lavanya Devi K., M.B. Shivanna
- Exotic ornamental palms S. Ganeshan, Anuradha Sane, D.L. Shetti, Lavanya Devi K. PALMS Westville Publishing House
- A medicinal herb in “Horticultural Crops of High Nutra-Pharmaceutical value Lavanya Devi K., M.B. Shivanna (2017) Future Crops Vol. III, Brillion Publishing New York (India).
- M.Sc. (Applied Botany) Second Rank, Mangalore University
Membership of Professional Bodies:
- Board of Studies Member St. Agnes College (2018-2020)